Thursday, January 21, 2010

The UW trio cover shoot

Loaded with background info and the expectations of the upcoming basketball season, I wanted to produce a cover that incorporated the psychology of the "game-personalities" and the attitude-- namely: 'The Pac-10 is OURS" (cover); and, "If you wanna challenge the axiom....we WILL bring it" (feature shot).
As you may have guessed, Venoy and Isaiah were definitely up to the task. The personalities they had displayed on the court are not contrived--put the ball in play, and the intensity might be amplified. (Isaiah was a natural in front of the camera...required little directions. Venoy was true to Venoy--intense.) I loved my role, which was to temper the enthusiasm--or to channel it, rather. But, I'd say the freshman may have felt overshadowed. To my recollection, Abdul did not smile one time while I was shoot them as a group. So, I improvised. I decided I'd shoot them each separately and then construct a composite--this would be for the inside copy.
One thing that I definitely learned from shooting for the Mag...you've got to visualize the text--and you MUST PLAN AHEAD for the gutter. It's not rocket science, but lack of foresight will cause an editor to pop a cork (really).

The final product and the final cover of Sports Northwest Magazine.

Stay tuned.

No comments:

Post a Comment