Thursday, January 28, 2010

Yearning...for a treat.

Over the MLK holiday-weekend, I made a quick trip to Montana to do a little expedition/lifestyle photo excursion. I cajoled my friend (Vince) into a weekend of "hunting" and photography...the goal of which was to get duck and goose hunting photos, and to get his 3 yr. old son (Geordie) out....I wanted to incorporate the little-lad into some "fun" pictures.

On our last day, I decided it might be good fun to bring my dog (Jezebel), so that she could experience her first hunt. Vince's dog, Disco, if a phenomenal retriever--so, it seemed like a perfect way to get Jezebel "on the scent"...have the experienced dog teach the city-dog what life "on the farm" is like. (I'll spare you the diatribe about the endless folly of my misconception. ...good "retrieving dog" ≠ good "hunting retriever" )

So, that's the crew: Geordie (3yrs), Disco (black labrador, 5 yrs), Jezebel (chocolate labrador, 6yrs), Vince (hunter--he's got a gun, so I ain't sayin), and myself (photog; ha, sorry). We headed out for an afternoon hunt (shooting ends at sunset)...

Vince and Geordie set up some decoys...



Shortly thereafter, I set my gear spread and, and then I was charged with Geordie and the dogs (while the truck was "hid")....which was perfect: get the exposure and flash-power dialed in....get the dogs in various spots...get the "frame" I like...that way I am ready and the subjects don't have to wait on me. So, after the tasks were done, I decided to get a couple picts of Geordie-- by this day (I should tell you) G has had enough of me, my camera, and the shenanigans--he slips into his own little world..and as I'm watching, he starts giving me all these FANTASTIC candid posses.

...now, I did know what Geordie was doing (in this picture), but I had no idea about the rest of the frame...I knew the dogs were there, but I NO IDEA what was awaiting me when I chimp'ed the shot....



...I would love to know what my dog was thinking (at that moment)...

A. Hey, what the hell are you doin?
B. You're gunna share that, right?
C. mmm...Soooo tasty!

nonetheless... a great find.

Later, after the hunting commenced, my time was spent trying to get an image of Vince and Geordie "hunting"...
My favorite shot came toward the end of the evening--Vince called in a couple ducks, and said, "I'm going to take them"....he stood, took aim...and just before he shot, I took my shot (surprisingly, flashes do not scare ducks)...



What I like about this shot....The 2 ducks are in the scene, Vince is on the bird "up-top", and...Geordie is ON the duck at the lower left--he's got his toy side-by-side shotgun on that bird (what you can't hear is that he pulled the trigger). Needless to say, his dad was VERY proud!

...and, of course, the great hunter, himself.



A much needed little trip.

more to come.

1 comment:

  1. I love the shot of Jezebel watching the booger picking... I think she was thinking:

    Ah-what are you...oh, I think I'm going to gag...

    ReplyDelete